lördag 5 april 2008

Nobody puts Baby in a corner



I love outdoor screenings. Everything emphasizes and the audience’s reactions are not as controlled as in regular theatres. I'm also a big fan of Dirty Dancing. It's one of those movies that made the audience come back and watch it again, and again, and again... The reason I think is really simple; it’s actually a really good movie. Good script. Good directing not to mention the editing (and of course the soundtrack).

One thing to notice though is that Jennifer Grey (Frances “Baby” Houseman) is in some scenes almost cut out of the action. I don’t know if she didn’t perform all that well or if it was a conscience decision. Anyway, I think it works very well with a lead character that’s not passive I terms of action, but don’t dominate the story or the individual scenes.

Another thing to notice is that this kind of mega hit success for a new actor sometimes seems to have a negative impact on their carrier. It’s almost impossible for someone not associate Jennifer Grey with Baby in Dirty Dancing. It’s almost as with Mark Hamill (Luke in Star Wars). I have no idea how Patrick Swayze pulled it off.

Inga kommentarer:

Om mig

Mitt foto
35 years old computer-geek retraind as a movie-producer. Among the films I produced is THE OTHER SIDE, that highlighted the swedish immigration policy and won the swedish filmintitute, short-/novellofilm award in 2003 as well as participated in competition in Lucarno international filmfestival. I'm skilled in digital art of filmmaking, educated at Colorado Mountain College and Swedish Gothenburg Fimacademy, Drama Center, as well as the filmproduction program at University West. But I guess I'm mainly self-educated. Today I'm focusing on the development of feautre film throuh my company Timelock Film AB, where I also work as a freelance editor and script consultant. In addition to this I also have a board of directors assignment in two other family businesses, in the sport distribution and real estate business. I am looking forward to a great 2010.